Steps to Terminate Parental Rights

There are two ways that parental rights can be terminated: involuntary or voluntary. Following are steps required to terminate parental rights.

  • Involuntary Termination

If you wish to involuntarily terminate parental rights, one of the following issues must be present:

  • Abandonment

parental rightsIf a parent leaves a child and does not plan to come back for them, termination of rights can commence. However, you must notify the authorities that the child/children have been abandoned.

  • Non-payment of Child Support

If a parent is not providing basic necessities for their child/children, like regular getting check-ups, nutritional meals, and dental health, rights can be terminated. This is an extreme situation and differs based on the state they’re in.

  • Unfit

A parent is considered unfit when they can’t care for themselves, much less a child. This could mean the parent is involved in alcohol or drug abuse or other illegal actions. Additionally, if the parent has mental problems that render them unable to care for a child/children- rights can be terminated.

  • Abuse

If a parent is hurting the child/children, the child/children will be taken from the home. The parent will be allowed time to rehabilitate, and re-evaluated. If they keep harming the child/children rights will be terminated.

  • Voluntary Termination

If you want to give up your rights to a child/children, you will need o the following:

Find out about your state’s laws regarding termination of parental rights. This can be found on the state’s legal website or the state code. You need a good reason to give up your rights. Most states accept voluntary termination in the case of adoption. However, there are very few other reasons that would be acceptable to give up parental rights. See if you can find out what your state has accepted as good reason in the past and keep yourself within those.

Draft a legal document that gives your consent to relinquishing your rights. If you need help drafting the document, you can contact a family law commercial attorney or see the court clerk in your local family court to find pre-printed, fill in the blank documents and guidelines for filling them out.